Organisations for the protection of rights

Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC)

The Disability Discrimination Act 1992 makes disability discrimination unlawful and aims to promote equal opportunity and access for people with disabilities.

Under the Act, individuals can lodge complaints of discrimination and harassment with the AHRC. A complaint form can be downloaded from the website or use the contact details listed below.

Contact information
Complaints Info line: 1300 656 419

General enquiries and publications: 1300 369 711


Office hour: Counter and general enquiries: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM AEST

National Information Service: 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM AEST

Disability Services Commissioner (DSC)

The DSC is an independent body resolving complaints and promoting the rights of people with a disability to be free from abuse.

If you are receiving a disability service funded through the NDIS in Victoria, you can still make a complaint about the service to the DSC. Through an agreement between the Commonwealth and Victorian Governments, DSC’s role in handling complaints about Victorian disability services encompasses disability supports funded through the NDIS.

Contact information
Phone: (Complaints hotline) 1800 677 342

General office enquiries: 1300 728 1871800 677 342


Address: Level 20, 570 Bourke St Melbourne Vic 3000

Health Complaints Commissioner

Contact the Health Complaints Commissioner if you have a complaint or for information about your rights in relation to health services in Victoria. You are entitled to complain about a health service provider who has:

  • Failed to provide satisfactory care.
  • Failed to provide enough information or denied your right to choose.
  • Denied you respect, dignity or privacy.
  • Been negligent or unprofessional.
  • Any other issues about your health service provider.

If you can, your first step should be to approach your provider and discuss your concerns. If this doesn’t achieve a satisfactory result, please call the Commissioner.

Contact information
Phone: 1300 582 113


Address: Level 26, 570 Bourke Street, Melbourne Vic 3000

Office hours: 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday

Justice Connect

Formerly known as Public Interest Law Clearing House, Justice Connect is an independent, not-for-profit organisation committed to furthering the public interest, improving access to justice and protecting human rights. Justice Connect facilitates pro bono legal services to Victorian individuals and organisations in need, and promotes law reform, policy work and legal education.

Eligible clients are individuals who:

  • Cannot pay for the services of a private solicitor or barrister;
  • Are unable to obtain Legal Aid; or
  • Are unable to get help from a community legal centre.

Contact information
Phone: (03) 8636 4400

Fax: (03) 8636 4455


(Note they cannot take legal enquiries via email)

Address: PO Box 16013, Melbourne VIC 8007
DX 128 Melbourne

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Victoria’s consumer affairs regulator provides advice and information for consumers, businesses, landlords and tenants.

Contact information
Phone: 1300 55 81 81

Koori Helpline (for callers who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander): 1300 66 15 1

Email: To contact online, complete and lodge General enquiry online form

Address: Consumer Affairs Victoria
GPO Box 123
Melbourne VIC 3001

Print Friendly, PDF & Email