When you have a condition such as ME/CFS, it’s easy to feel alone and become socially isolated. Family or friends may not understand what you’re going through, you may have had to give up work or study, and you may have trouble getting around and interacting with others.
A Peer Support Group can be an environment where you can meet and chat with others who have had similar experiences to you. Joining a ME/CFS Peer Support Group is completely free, and there numerous across Australia.
We encourage all our program participants to become Emerge Australia members. By becoming a member, we can connect you and keep you up to date with our work and various programs. One-year membership is available from just $5. To join, or renew your membership, visit our Membership page, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Peer support offers both social and practical benefits, including:
- Being with people who just “get it”
- Realising you’re not alone
- Making friends and socialising
- Rebuilding self-esteem and sense of identity
- Gaining support by sharing experiences and feelings with others in a similar situation
- Talking about your fears and concerns
- Gathering and sharing information and resources
- Learning practical ways to better manage your condition
- Learning about community and health services and how to use them
- Having fun!
If you would like a list of the peer support groups, please get in touch with us by filling out the form below.