Other Allowances

Other Centrelink payments and concessions:

Special Benefit

A payment if you’re in severe financial hardship, unable to earn enough to support yourself and your family and to get another income support payment from Centrelink.

Sickness Allowance

A short-term payment if you are employed or self-employed, but temporarily cannot work or study because of a medical condition. In some cases full-time students can also get Sickness Allowance.

Mobility Allowance

This travel allowance helps people aged 16 years and older who because of their disability, illness or injury, are unable to use public transport either permanently or for an extended period without substantial assistance to travel to and from work, study, school, trade/training.

Telephone Allowance

Available to Disability Support Pensioners under 21 who have a phone connected in their name or the person get other Centrelink allowances. Visit the website to see the eligibility.

Pharmaceutical Allowance

This allowance helps with the cost of buying prescription medicines. Paid to eligible income support recipients with their regular fortnightly Centrelink payment (e.g. Disability Support Pension or other allowance).

Rent Assistance

Financial help to people who pay rent and receive a Centrelink payment such as the Disability Support Pension or other allowance.

Pensioner Education Supplement

Available to students on a Disability Pension or other allowances/benefits who are enrolled full-time or part-time in an approved secondary or tertiary education course.

Bereavement Allowance

A short term payment if your partner has recently died (less than 14 weeks ago) and you don’t get another income support payment. For the eligibility, please visit the website. With bereavement allowance, you are also eligible to get a pensioner concession card.

Widow Allowance

An income support payment if you’re a woman after turning 40 who became widowed, divorced or separated, hasn’t had a job in 12 months and is under the income and assets test limits.

Education Entry Payment

A once a year payment is available to people who are receiving specific income support payments from Centrelink when they start study.

Centrelink Newstart Allowance

The Newstart Allowance is an income support payment for adults looking for work or you are temporarily unable to work due to illness, injury or disability. At the time of updating the webpage, the allowance is for people at least 22 aged and not at age pension age (65-67).

Read more

Age Pension

If you reach age pension age (65 or older), are an Australian resident for at least 10 years and under the income and assets test limits you entitle a main income support payment. With age pension, you are also eligible to get a pensioner concession card.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email